Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 2-Part 1

Technically Day 1 was Friday, but since we only traveled 3 hours, I am not counting it as a "Day". I wish I could express myself like Dock's niece Lisa. She is so good at thinking with her words and making things come to life. But you all are stuck with me.
So yesterday was Saturday, Day 1. I talked a little about our dinner, but I will tell you about the town where we spent the night. I am not sure why it was so important to me to go to Sterling CO with time enough to drive around. I only lived there for 3 years and they were the dreaded Jr High years. I did not have a lot of friends, poor poor me, but that is what happens when you move around. I remember taking my lunch and climbing up to an unused room to eat and I remember looking out the window at people playing. Now, that is how I remember it, but maybe I was just hiding and reading. I love to read so a quite place to read would be nice. I only remember one friend and we did some fun things. But still, a trip to a place that I could not even drive around when I was there, means there were places that I could not locate, that and the 42 years of busy, mind erasing life, could create problems.
I found both houses that we lived in, we drove through the park that we played in (the swimming pool is gone and the area they used to flood to ice skate is changed), I saw the outside of the church we attended, and I took pictures of their old library building. That was a wonderful place and I can remember the inside of that building! Again, I love to read and I remember getting lots of books. "In those days" the books were hard back books, and when we traveled to Estherville, I would bring one book for each day.
The Dairy Queen is the same building, the Vet's office we took Coco to is still there, but I could not  identify the candy store that sold white chocolate by the hunk! What a love affair with chocolate that started.
We attended Church in Sterling. I was thinking how nice there was a congregation there now, but one member told me there has been a congregation for many, many years. When we lived there they were meeting, but probably in different places.
We drove on 2 lane roads up to Nebraska, but they were mostly well maintained and smooth sailing! I think we got good gas mileage doing that. We had a good dinner and glad to be in a safe warm hotel to sleep.

Yes, Folks, guess what we saw hundreds of?????

No comments:

Post a Comment